Black Star Pastry (Strawberry Watermelon Cake)


Some of you might know about the desperate attempt I made last year for the Strawberry Watermelon Cake (see previous post at Black Star Pastry). 

Yesterday I had the privilege of tasting this cake at a party. I got super excited as I’ve been wanting to try this for almost a year now. I was so tempted to just skip the mains but I patiently waited for dessert time and made sure I left space for the cake :P

In the meantime, I went to take a close look at the cake (could not resist, for obvious reasons) and I was amazed at how magical it looked. It was constructed beautifully starting with a layer of almond dacquoise followed by cream, then a slice of watermelon with cream, almond dacquoise and cream again. Finally, it was topped with strawberries, pistachios and dried rose petals.



It was a quite a delicious cake but unfortunately, it did not meet the expectations I had. I liked certain elements, such as the lightness of the cream layers, fresh watermelon and the nutty base. The topping however, did not taste as good. The gelatine had kind of separated and did not taste nice with the rose petals and strawberries (I felt).

One thing I did like was the lightness of the cake. With the other two cakes I had at Black Star Pastry, I felt full after a few bites but this cake felt light as a feather. I could have easily continued eating more if I had enjoyed the taste.

Overall, I was quite disappointed because I did not get the delicious kick I was hoping to get. I have heard people tell me that this is the best cake they have ever tasted so I came up with some explanations to convince myself to try it again (any reason to eat more cake is good, right?) :P

1) The orders come in a bit earlier and the cake wasn't as fresh as it would have been if you had it at the store? (someone at the party mentioned this)

2) My appetite hasn't been too well lately (been sick) so that could have been a reason why I did not find it as delicious as I normally would?

3) Maybe, (just maybe) I unconsciously hold a grudge against this cake because we did not get it that day after multiple attempts so my taste buds have secretly decided not to accept the cake?

Well, I've got some good imaginary reasons there. 
I think I've got enough for now to give it another shot. But till then, I'll have to live with my mixed feelings on the Strawberry Watermelon Cake. 



Black Star Pastry
277 Australia Street
Newtown



Popular posts from this blog

International Congress of Behavioural Medicine | Melbourne

Last day of uni (Black Star Pastry + Grill'd)

Fast February

Parramatta Lanes

Oatmeal omelette

Marvellous May

Holiday cooking (Part 1)

Five things I love about being a dietitian